The most important part of any business is the product, so why let over-packaging hide away this unique selling point? Blister capsule packaging, also known as a blister pack, allows customers to see your product immediately, while still protecting it from damage. This packaging solution is seen all over store shelves for office supplies, health and beauty, pet, and hardware products, but what is blister capsule packaging and why is it so popular?
Pioneer Packaging is the go-to source for quality, cost-effective solutions that show your brand and make your product stand out. Whether you’re just starting a product line or updating your current one, our team is capable of handling any size project you need. Read our blog post below to learn more about blister capsule packaging.
What is Blister Capsule Packaging?
A blister package shows off a product by securing it between plastic and a paperboard backing that is designed to represent the brand. This type of packaging is made from a variety of clear plastic materials ranging in thickness from 0.010 to 0.040 inches. The plastic piece is called the “blister”. To form the blister, plastic is “thermoformed” meaning it is heated, vacuum-formed over a mold the shape of the product, and cut to fit the desired shape.
Blister capsule packaging is also commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry. This type of blister pack packages doses of medication within small plastic bubbles. Each one is secured with foil that the pills can be pushed through to distribute an accurate dose.
Common Types Of Blister Capsule Packaging
While all blister packs have the same basic features and characteristics, this variety of packaging varies slightly into four common types of blisters.
- Face Seal Blisters: This type of blister is manufactured with a small rim that allows it to be sealed onto the paperboard backing. This clear packaging option tends to only work well for small, lightweight items, but it is the least expensive blister option.
- Full Face Seal Blisters: Full face seal blister packs are similar to face seal, but feature a plastic blister that covers the entire front of the package. This type of blister makes packaging more durable and minimizes potential damages to any paperboard design or hanging features.
- Trapped Blisters: This type of packaging has a thermoformed blister around the product with paperboard on the front and the pack of the package making it ideal for heavier or bulkier items. This solution creates lots of space for package graphics while still displaying the product in a clear window.
- Slide Blisters: Slide blister packaging is designed with borders that wrap around three sides of a paperboard backing securing it in place. The product slides between the backing and the blister. This design is useful for lightweight, flat items.
Benefits of Blister Packs
It is important for your brand to create packaging solutions that represent your product in the best possible way. Blister capsule packaging has many benefits to consider when choosing if it is right for your product.
- Low costs: Blister packs are a price-conscious way of featuring a product. With many different material and thickness options, it is easy to reach a target cost with this type of packaging.
- Design space: The wide range of colors and finishes that can be printed to a paperboard backing on blister capsule packaging allows manufacturers space to make their products stand out on shelves.
- Product display: Blister packaging helps shoppers see the product on the shelves, which aids their purchase decision, but still keeps the product protected and the packaging undamaged.
- Tamper evident: When using blister packaging, each tablet or capsule is individually sealed, so any form of tampering is immediately visible.
Pioneer Packaging is Your Partner in High-Quality Solutions
Pioneer Packaging has the resources and experience to provide clients with total packaging solutions that make your product stand out. These resources serve multiple industries, including food and beverage, medical, and automotive. Contact us today to find out how we can help you create the experience your customers deserve!