Saving money is on everyone’s mind these days. Of course, reducing packaging costs is a great way to keep expenditures low. But how should businesses go about doing this? It’s worth brainstorming and researching to find out. Thankfully, we’ve done that part.
Keep reading to find out the latest in reducing packaging costs and maintaining your supply flow without any unexpected issues.
What Increases Packaging Expense?
Before diving into ways to save money, let’s look at what is raising the costs of packaging. By looking at what’s taking the most significant bite out of your budget, you’ll better understand how to make strategic adjustments.
High packaging costs are associated with the following:
- Untrained Staff or Not Upholding Cost-Effective Procedures
- Materials Not Used for the Intended Purpose; Wrong Material/Wrong Use
- Lengthy Packing Process
- Boxes Larger Then Required; Increases Shipping and Packaging Costs
- Using Ineffective Packing Materials; Damage-Prone
- Not Updating Packaging Periodically with New Innovations
- Failing to Optimize Packing Materials and Procedures
- Expensive Shipping Costs
Pro Tips for Cutting Costs on Packaging
Follow these tried and true pro tips to expand your savings and reap the benefits.
Use Smaller Boxes, Mailer Bags & Envelopes Where Applicable – Do you need all that space? Often, boxes are oversized and use more filling than necessary. Reconsider your box sizes and what will work best for your products while keeping them secure and damage-free. In addition, mailer bags and padded envelopes can be a great alternative that can save you time and shipping costs.
Consider These Boxing Tips:
- Use Packaging Space Wisely – Condense as Many Items in One Box as Safely as Possible
- Understand Your Shipper’s Dimensional Parameters – Reduce Box Size and Cost
- Negotiate Shipping Rates and Make Cost Saving Adjustments
- Don’t Be Afraid to Try New Packaging Techniques and Materials
- Use Padded Envelopes and Bags in Place of Boxes if Possible
Reduce the Return Potential – Damaged products are very costly for businesses. Return costs include the packaging, shipping two ways, customer satisfaction, etc. In addition, customers are more hesitant to buy from you again if they cannot trust the products will arrive as expected.
Anything you can do to save money and preserve your online and in-person reputation is worthwhile. Take extra precautions when preparing your products for shipping use; use the advice of a professional whenever possible.
Invest in Automated Packaging – Automated packaging systems are designed to create maximum throughput and efficiency, reduce materials and reduce labor. Automated packing technology makes constructing, assembling, and packing products easy. In addition, automation provides consistency which cannot be duplicated by manual labor.
Additional Automated Packaging Benefits Include:
- Faster Output
- More Environmentally Friendly and Less Waste
- Decrease Work-Related Injuries
- Consistent Brand Quality
Pioneer Packaging; Your Custom Packaging Solution Company
For over 35 years, Pioneer Packaging has been your packaging company go-to for designing product packaging that sells and performs. Our creative designers work closely with you to ensure your brand is recognized for quality and design.
So whether you’re looking to get your paper product packaging at affordable prices or attract new consumers, we’ll find the best packaging solutions that fit your needs. We strive to keep costs down as much as possible to help our customers keep their brands moving along production lines. Contact Pioneer Packaging today and learn why we’re a leader in B2B packaging solutions.