The need to become more eco-friendly has become more popular across all industries and eco-friendly cosmetic packaging is a must-have. Taking care of the Earth by eliminating waste is a global challenge and consumers are calling on businesses and brands to make a change. It is estimated that more than 120 billion units of packaging are produced by the global cosmetics industry every year, most of which cannot be recycled. This makes cosmetic packaging a growing concern for the market’s consumers. Customers want mascara that volumizes their lashes, not their carbon footprint, but what goes into eco-friendly cosmetic packaging?
Pioneer Packaging is the go-to source for quality, cost-effective packaging that keeps up with industry trends. Whether you’re just starting a product line or updating your current one, our team provides packaging solutions that represent your brand. Read our blog post below to learn more about what cosmetic brands can do to make their packaging more environmentally friendly.
Benefits of Eco-Friendly Cosmetic Packaging
The most obvious benefit is the positive effect on the environment, but there are other upsides for brands who spend the time and money making their cosmetic packaging more sustainable:
- Marketing opportunities: Consumers have a heightened awareness of environmental issues and have consistently supported green marketing. Even during harder economic times, like throughout COVID-19, green businesses are known to experience fewer financial problems than others.
- Customer loyalty: One of the best ways to retain customers and keep them engaged in a brand is to identify with their causes. Showing a company commitment to go green helps unify supporters with your cause and your brand.
- Avoid supply chain issues: Packaging using recycled materials can be made locally meaning that businesses are less affected by international logistical barriers in the supply chain.
Eco-Friendly Cosmetic Packaging Must Dos
Making the switch to sustainability is not a simple task. Some brands will find that recycling programs are not always cheap and do not always garner large participation efforts. Sustainable packaging can be less attractive than plastic options or be too frail to properly protect beauty products to keep them appealing and safe for the consumer. While there are many challenges to becoming more eco-friendly, the demand is far greater. There are things brands can do to ease the switch to sustainable cosmetic packaging:
- Get a reliable packaging supplier: Some packaging suppliers possess technical know-how in proper waste segregation and processing, which lets them create better-looking recycled materials. They can help you find the appropriate wrappings for your cosmetics. Partner with a packaging company like Pioneer Packaging that works to represent your brand, protect your product, and build a sustainable alternative.
- Non-Toxic strengthening additives: Non-toxic additives in your packaging can help make them more durable. For example, poly-lactic acid can be made sturdier with the addition of clay or rosemary oil. Meanwhile, starch and other plant polymers can be used as strengtheners in paper packaging. These steps can help create durable and sustainable cosmetic packaging materials.
- Invest in sustainability: Most cosmetics buyers are willing to pay more for sustainable packaging. So invest back into your business by putting money toward long-term sustainable solutions.
- Promote your efforts: In order to grow community involvement in your efforts, you can be proactive in engaging customers in the environmental discussion. You can incentivize recycling among employees. You can also start a recycling program in your locality and endorse it using your social media account.
- Changing temperature and humidity levels: Products that can be damaged during temperature or humidity changes need packaging to account for any condition.
Pioneer Packaging Offers High-Quality Solutions
Pioneer Packaging has the resources and experience to provide clients with total packaging solutions from design to delivery. These resources serve multiple industries, including cosmetics, food and beverage, and medical. Contact us today to find out how we can help you create the experience your customers deserve!