Current Trends in Sustainable Packaging

A green dipped female's hand is holding a plant's stem with three leaves

Sustainability efforts have grown immensely over the past decade. The reason for this can be attributed to climate change, rising pollution levels, and landfill waste impacting ecosystems. There is no lack of information available about how sustainable efforts like switching to alternative energy and minimizing hazardous materials in product packaging can positively impact business efforts, communities, and the environment. Here are a few examples of how successful businesses are keeping up with this trend to remain on the cutting edge of sustainable packaging services.

Budweiser Renewable Energy Logo
In March 2018, Budweiser made the strategic decision to debut a new packaging icon stating that their beer is produced in factories that operate on 100% renewable electricity. Budweiser states that the reason for adding this icon on their packaging is to let consumers know about the standard of quality, for both the product and the environment. They partnered with Enel Green Power in order to make this goal a reality.

Nestle Clean Energy Plant
Nestle Waters North America recently signed a purchasing agreement with Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) stating that they will be buying all of their power from SMUD’s renewable energy programs. Nestle is one of the largest food and beverage providers in the world, and their product packaging services are now more sustainable than ever before.

Procter & Gamble’s Ambition 2030
Just like Budweiser and Nestle Waters North America, Procter & Gamble has announced this past week their Ambition 2030 plan. This goal is for P&G to operate 100% on renewable energy by the year of 2030 with specific emphasis on water conversation and packaging efforts. P&G promises by 2025, all packaging platforms will be 100% recyclable or reusable with 95% of packaging materials being carefully selected to support these efforts. The remaining 5% of materials will be developed by 2030 so all packaging materials will be sustainable.

You can learn how to start your journey to have more sustainable business practices with help from Pioneer Packaging. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any further questions or concerns on sustainable packaging services.

Scroll to Top